I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness-- Jeremiah 3:3

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

OPENING MY TREASURE CHEST ON THE THIRD YEAR OF BEING MARRIED


It would begin with a nonchalance coming from him. I didn't mind though. Gone are the days when I would harp on men to see that a red carpet is laid before my feet like Queen Elizabeth 1 used to get. Well, she was the queen. She held the most powerful name in the land. Men definitely without reason would, at any time, in any slimy ditch, spread one hell of a carpet.

I am not Queen Elizabeth, nor I ever was. Presumptuous me and perhaps most women trapped in the Romantic period, caught in the passing culture that knighthood and chivalry magnified in the Arthurian legends have been used to taking to heart the doctrine that men should worship women in this and that manner and find their heart broken when the guy's attention is less than that of Sir Lancelot. Ahh, the disillusion that these expectations bring when these rosy things dissipate.

I still am not Queen or princess. I am just an ordinary wife whose husband is no match with Lancelot who may just be a figment of one romantic bard's imagination in the England's Medieval Era whose idea of women is comparable to the image of Virgin Mary. But my husband's devotion goes beyond money or any tangibility. One thing though, he's not one who would go out of the way and grab a bunch of flowers from a flower shop for her unassuming wife. For one, he doesn't know where to get them nor does he know where to find a flower shop in the city. He didn't grow up in that culture of treating women. He was reared though by fisher folks who implanted in him the respect a woman of any stature deserves.

He is a husband who has been so devoted to one woman for three years now. (At least, that's what this finite woman's intuition has been telling her.)Three years is not that long. Today, is the third year and I wouldn't mind saying a second "I DO" once again. With or without flowers, that is. These are the moments when his waking up early dawn to cook for me and his sleepless nights for our baby girl who is equally a brat as her mother has always been that would definitely go down to my treasure chest.

Oh, and yes, the kiss wasn't that much though. The ground just rumbled all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment