I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness-- Jeremiah 3:3

Thursday, May 20, 2010

A ROD THAT HURTS



You can hear her squeals from a hundred meters away and you would think the pain must have been terrible that not one, not a small toddler of one deserves such a crime.

Like it or not, my daughter has to get all the beating her acts deserve. This early, you won't mistake her innocent look as one who could brave through adult traffic rules so to speak and get what she wills by pure passion and an iron will. But she does in a few undetected instances in the past. Too bad, she now thinks she can get away with murder. What with that sheepish pretty smile in that vileless face. Ahh, the charm of a tot like her, the first victim of which are the unsuspecting parents.

But today, she's gotta get the beating from the rod that hurts. Though at first, her mommy knows that the first few hits she got from me were far from earthshaking thuds. But there she is, stomping her feet relentlessly, wailing without end so it seemed until she reached her room and screamed some more for another 5-10 minutes or so. I let her be. She needed to bide her time before anything sank in, anything like, in cases like these, what mom says goes.

I am still not good at breaking her will. But today, I can see that the crack I have started in her formidable self-willed spirit is starting. I am definitely getting somewhere to begin with things a mother has to take care of before it's too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment